[Histonet] CAP Insitu Hybridization questions

Stapf, Ross RossS <@t> BaylorHealth.edu
Mon Nov 3 13:17:22 CST 2003

Hello everyone:

I'm hoping for some help here since I am new to managing Insitu Hybridization.  2 of the CAP questions are confusing to me.  Keep in mind with responses that we only use FDA approved clones, no ASR's are used in this lab.

ANP.22956  Is there documentation of validation of commercially available probes used?
Does this mean that FDA approved probes must be validated?  If so, what form should this validation take?  I am thinking of pulling 10 positives and 10 negatives and putting them into a report, is this enough?

ANP.22968  Has the laboratory established normal and abnormal reference ranges for each probe used, and are they reviewed at least twice/year, and adjusted if necessary?
I don't even know where to begin with this question.  I have no experience with this.

Thanks in advance for your help.  These things should have been done when these tests were brought in house I guess, but I can find no evidence of it.  With CAP inspection next week I'm doing the best I can.

Ross M Stapf
Histopathology Manager
Baylor University Medical Center
3500 Gaston Ave.
Dallas, TX 75246
214-820-2465
214-820-4110 fax
RossS <@t> baylorhealth.edu

This e-mail, facsimile, or letter and any files or attachments
transmitted with it contains information that is confidential and
privileged. This information is intended only for the use of the
individual(s) and entity(ies) to whom it is addressed. If you are
the intended recipient, further disclosures are prohibited without
proper authorization. If you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure, copying, printing, or use of this information is
strictly prohibited and possibly a violation of federal or state
law and regulations. If you have received this information in
error, please notify Baylor Health Care System immediately at
1-866-402-1661 or via e-mail at privacy <@t> baylorhealth.edu. Baylor
Health Care System, its subsidiaries, and affiliates hereby claim
all applicable privileges related to this information.