[Histonet] sectioning

Gudrun Lang gudrun.lang <@t> aon.at
Sun Dec 21 03:21:25 CST 2003

George,
In Austria and Germany it is common to use sliding microtomes. In our lab we
use rotary microtoms only for making serial cuts of renal biopsies.
Trimming and sectioning is really faster using sliding microtomes. Perhaps
it demands more effort, because of moving the slide forwards and backwards
fast, but with the modern microtomes it became much more easier.
We cut tissue from smallest lung biopsies, bone marrow-biopsies to all
routine surgical tissues. We are able to cut at 1 to 3 and more micrometer
thickness.

Trimming: 5-10 x with 30 um; then 2-3x with 3 um to get an even surface.
Then take off a good cut with 3 um, put it on the water bath with a brush,
mounting it on the slide and ready.  You get allways single cuts and no
ribbons.
I have found a link, where you can look at a modern sliding microtom. Ours
look a little big different.

http://www.microm.de/microm%20homepage/microm_deutsch/html/hm_450_d.html

I hope my English was good enough to explain and I would be glad if you
visit our small city.

Gudrun Lang
Linz, Austria