[Histonet] Glacial acetic acid for Cervical CytologyThin Preps

Joe Nocito JNocito <@t> Pathreflab.com
Wed Dec 17 09:54:02 CST 2003

John,
When we receive bloody (no pun intended) gyn Thinpreps, we treat them with
G.A.A. because it lyses the RBC's, which causes the cellular material to
really stand out. The cyto techs say there is an increased cellularity.  We
haven't tried this on conventional pap smears though.

Joe Nocito, BS, HT (ASCP) QIHC
Histology Manager
Pathology Reference Lab
San Antonio, Texas

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-admin <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-admin <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu]On Behalf Of John Auld
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 4:40 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Glacial acetic acid for Cervical CytologyThin Preps

Dear all

We have recently become aware of the use of Glacial acetic acid on Gynae
specimens which appear inadequate after the normal protocol. We have used
the GAA treatment on a few inadequates and found a marked improvement in
the cellularity. Would anyone like to share their experiences with us.

Many thanks

John Auld
Dept of Histopathology and Clinical Cytology
Arrowe Park Hospital
Arrowe Park Road
Upton
Wirral