FW: [Histonet] Evans Blue and immunhistochemistry

Monson, Frederick fmonson <@t> wcupa.edu
Tue Dec 16 09:38:30 CST 2003

Morning Katrin,
	Evans Blue is known for its stochiometric reaction with albuminoids.  Thus, it can be used for tests in the following manner.
	1.  One can inject the dye, in which case it binds with protein and nicely demonstrates extravasation of blood, etc.
	2.  One can go to the trouble of purchasing rabbit albumin or isolating it from rabbit blood (3.5+g/100ml) and reacting the Evans Blue in vitro before reintroducing it as an indicator.

	Because of its binding characteristics, other than a bleach (I have no knowledge of any such use), there is little hope to remove the dye.
	I prior work with rabbits and extravasation, we have also used Indigocarmine which does not bind to the tissues and readily leaches out of the tissue.
	Other help

Why Certain Dyes Are Useful for Localizing the Sentinel Lymph Node
Tsopelas and Sutton J Nucl Med.2002; 43: 1377-1382. http://jnm.snmjournals.org/cgi/reprint/44/9/1540.pdf

Evans Blue is included in some Ab kits as a counterstain, thus, it would appear that its presence would not affect Ab binding.  This, however, should be tested by you to demonstrate that EB has no effect on Ab reactions.
 http://www.researchd.com/viralab/proac1p.htm
http://www.bindingsite.co.uk/antisera.asp
http://cls.umc.edu/COURSES/cls411/serrxn2.doc

Rasio, E., Hampers, C. L., Soeldner, J. S. and Cahill, G. F (1967). Diffusion of glucose, insulin, inulin and Evans-blue protein into thoracic duct lymph of man. J. Clin. Invest 46, 903-910.

I searched Google with <binding evans blue protein reactions> to find the above.

Hope this helps and Merry Christmas,

Frederick C. Monson, PhD
Center for Advanced Scientific Imaging
Mail to Geology