[Histonet] Evans Blue and immunhistochemistry

Foerster, Katharina foerster <@t> CH11.UKL.UNI-FREIBURG.DE
Tue Dec 16 05:25:17 CST 2003

Dear Histonetters,

I`m looking for information about the parallel use of Evans Blue (to
identify the area at risk induced by coronary artery ligation) and
TTC (to identify the infarct zone) with a following immuno staining
for vessels (anti-smooth-muscle-actin-antibody and cd31).
Additionally, I wish to use Haematoxylin-Eosin staining and
Elastica-van-Gieson in the heart-tissue.

Evans Blue and TTC are necessary for macroscopic infarct size
assessment and not replacable in this project.
But it will be possible to take the tissue samples before TTC
staining, so only Evans Blue (4 - 5 ml 10% dye per vena jugularis
of the rabbit) remains problematical.

I found some information about Evans Blue and H & E staining and
this combination seems to be possible.

But I`m not sure if Evans Blue interferes with or covers any of the
other stainings.
If so, is there a possibility to wash out Evans Blue before
immunhistochemistry (heart tissue will be fixed in 4%
formaldehyde before embedded in paraffin)? Or is the microscopic
tissue discolouration negligible because of albumin-binding?

Thank you for your help.
Katrin.

Katharina Förster
University Hospital Freiburg