[Histonet] cacodylate vs PBS

Geoff McAuliffe mcauliff <@t> umdnj.edu
Mon Dec 15 10:27:07 CST 2003

Hi Sharon:

    Rather than believe other's opinions (unless they have references to
back them up) the only real way to answer the question is to 'do the
experiment' yourself. The best "ammunition" is real-world results in
your lab with your antigens. Sodium cacodylate has an advantage as a
buffer for EM fixation in that you can dissolve calcium ions in it (for
improved membrane fixation). Calcium phosphate, on the other hand, is
very insoluble (this fact does not seem to deter some folks from putting
Ca ions in their phosphate-buffered fix, they happily filter out the
precipitate and continue on their merry way). Cacolylate has arsenic in
it and should be disposed of with much greater care than phosphate
buffers. Cacodylate does seem to last longer before molds begin to grow
in it.
    After enduring the rigors of paraffin processing,  I would be
surprised if the choice of buffer made much difference, but it might,
depending on the antigen in question.

Geoff

--
--