[Histonet] RE: PBS or TBS?

C.M. van der Loos c.m.vanderloos <@t> amc.uva.nl
Mon Dec 15 04:58:00 CST 2003

Dear Joost,
As far as I know there is no difference in using PBS or TBS as washing buffer. Certainly not in terms of "killing" as you wrote. IHC is a very tolerant technique in this respect!
The only situation to be careful with is when using alkaline phosphatase as marker enzyme. The enzymatic activity of this enzyme is heavily inhibited by phosphate ions in PBS. In this case you have to rinse your slides 3 times with a non-phosphate containing buffer (Tris-buffer for example) before starting the AP visualization reaction.

Chris van der Loos
Dept. of Cardiovascular Pathology
Academical Medical Center
Amsterdam - The Netherlands