[Histonet] workflow survey

Derek and/or Lynda Leopold leopold <@t> mnsi.net
Fri Dec 5 10:54:20 CST 2003

Hi H'netters,
I am a brand new Histotech working out of a hospital in Detroit.  We are
currently experiencing difficulties regarding inadequately processed
blocks as well as crazy workload bottlenecks due to the Pathologists'
tendencies to treat   processing times like buses--miss the proper one
and it's ok because another will come along in a couple of hours--...Of
course, this is being heaped upon the cutting techs as poor workflow
management (ie we're obviously working too slowly). We have convinced
the powers that be to do a statistical study of work output but now are
wondering how best to go about it.  We do suspect that caseloads not
getting to the proper early processing runs are the major cause of the
problem, but just to be sure, we want a way to measure and compare
embedding/trimming/cutting times.  An example is: should one treat
biopsies as bigger "units" since they require levels and one slide takes
longer on average than a bigger piece of tissue? Any suggestions you may
offer would surely be appreciated.
Thanks, and
really thrilled to be a Histotech, finally,
Lynda Leopold