[Histonet] [EXTERNAL] Histonet Digest, Vol 238, Issue 13

Terri Braud tbraud at holyredeemer.com
Thu Sep 28 08:39:36 CDT 2023

We have something that is a bit of a hybrid that we call a "dummy" requisition.
A person "orders" a "test" for pathology or cytology in the hospital information system.  The form they fill out has all of the information that would appear on a paper requisition.  When completed, it prints to a printer in Pathology and is matched to the specimens in the department (this could print to where the specimens are collected).  The printed copy becomes the requisition. The pathology dummy test is autoresulted as "see pathology report".  The actual accessioning of the specimen into the LIS creates the true pathology test with result(report) pending.
Advantages:  One can make required fields (such as clinical history) so that they must be filled out, which captures information required by CAP.
Cons: A pain when something needs to be corrected.  We usually have them cancel the order and submit another order.

Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP)
HNL Laboratories for
Holy Redeemer Hospital
1648 Huntingdon Pike