[Histonet] Cross Contamination CAP policy

Terri Braud tbraud at holyredeemer.com
Fri Jan 12 13:21:54 CST 2018

Hi Roy!  The "Germinator 500"  Sounds like something from Phineas and Ferb.  Hahaha.
Anyway - The mandate from CAP is designed to clean the instruments, not sterilize them.  If the instruments aren't cleaned before stuffing them into a 250'C trough of glass beads (the Germinator),  you will just have burnt on fragments of other tissue stuck on forceps.  The thought of what molten paraffin at the embedding unit would do to those glass beads is downright scary.  I would certainly check with the manufacturer of both the unit, and the paraffin before attempting. Also, the Germinator manual states that instruments be allowed to cool for 30 seconds before reuse.  Can you imagine how that might slow everything down. It just doesn't sound appropriate for what CAP is trying to accomplish.
Our policy calls for wiping of forceps with gauze between cases at gross and at embedding. At gross, we use a disposable absorbant lined pad on the cutting board for each larger case, and just a fresh c-fold paper towel between small biopsy cases.  We do not allow double-dipping of swabs into ink, but instead, pour out small amounts into a large plastic weigh boat which is also discarded after the case. We use disposable safety scapels, with a 70 blade (love 'em) for each case. For excessively bloody/fatty cases, we put the dirty forceps into an enzyme pre-soak (Aseptizyme) to remove all tissue debris.  Then they are scrubbed with a brush,  then rinsed in a disinfectant before being re-used.
I sure hope this helps

Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
Laboratory
Holy Redeemer Hospital
1648 Huntingdon Pike
Meadowbrook, PA 19046
ph: 215-938-3689
fax: 215-938-3874
Care, Comfort, and Heal

  3. New Cap cross contamination at gross bench (Roy, Ryan)