[Histonet] Re: Radioactive specimens policy

Joelle Weaver joelleweaver <@t> hotmail.com
Fri Sep 5 07:16:21 CDT 2014

Had CAP inspection yesterday, while this was not specifically raised as an issue, my pathologist advised me to address in policy even though it is not terribly applicable in this lab situation. I was able to include with the exclusion list, specifically addressing the seeds and breast masses, sentinel lymph nodes, and this works with this being a reference facility that has no attached surgical facilities and so already has limits on the specimen types accepted for testing. This most likely would not suffice for a hospital situation. So short answer, I put a "policy statement together" within another policy, but a free standing policy might be needed depending on how much you see/handle these types of specimens.  Hope this helps.

Joelle Weaver MAOM, HTL (ASCP) QIHC