[Histonet] RE: ventana counterstaining

Sebree Linda A LSebree <@t> uwhealth.org
Thu Mar 21 11:41:21 CDT 2013

Kimmie,

We use VMS' Hematoxylin II with no changes from how it has always stained.

Linda A. Sebree

University of Wisconsin Hospital & Clinics
IHC/ISH Laboratory
600 Highland Ave.
Madison, WI 53792

(608)265-6596
FAX: (608)262-7174

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Kimmie Rabe
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2013 11:28 AM
To: 'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'
Subject: [Histonet] ventana counterstaining

Has anyone else had problems with the counterstain on the ventana being pink instead of that lovely pale blue color?  Ventana says it's because we use Sta-On, but we don't always use Sta-On and the pink vs. blue staining doesn't correlate with whether Sta-On has been used or not.  Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against pink.  But if there is some problem with the hematoxylin we purchase from ventana or the dispensing or mixing thereof--we would like to know.

Thanks!

Kimmie E. Rabe, MD
North Central Pathology, PA
3701 12th Street North, Suite 201