[Histonet] RE: Pregnancy

Jackie O'Connor b427297 <@t> aol.com
Wed Mar 6 04:50:59 CST 2013

We currently have a lovely pregnant lady in our histo lab, and although our EHS did not see the need, we are opting to keep her away from xylene and formalin, so no wet trimming of tissues (we do animal research), no changing processors, and no staining/coverslipping.  There are many other tasks she can do, and her wonderful coworkers are happy to pick up the tasks where these nasty chemicals are present.   I always recommend you speak to your OB about potential hazards - the OB I consult with believes that if the chemicals (per PPE) do not pose a hazard to the Mom, the baby will be fine, since the placenta is a great (not perfect) filter.   He is a high risk OB, and I trust him implicitly, but your own doc knows best.  Some docs will put you on full restrictions (which in some workplaces means medical leave for your entire pregnancy)  He did recommend my daughter stay away from cyno monkeys during her pregnancy, which she did.  I WISH NSH would do a study on pregancy in histology labs, as well as run a retrospective study on miscarriage and birth defect rates in histo techs.  I'm sure every histotech would benefit from such information.
Jackie O'

-----Original Message-----
From: Cristi Rigazio <cls71877 <@t> gmail.com>
To: Elizabeth Chlipala <liz <@t> premierlab.com>
Cc: histonet <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>; Parker, Helayne <HParker <@t> Skaggs.Net>; Heckford, Karen - SMMC-SF <Karen.Heckford <@t> DignityHealth.org>
Sent: Tue, Mar 5, 2013 7:34 pm
Subject: Re: [Histonet] RE: Pregnancy

I told my doctor everything I dealt with on a daily basis and he said it was no
roblem.  I worked in a 400 sq ft space where we do everything including
rossing!  My son is perfect, but had I known about everything you all are
aying I would have done things differently!  Nothing is worth risking your
ittle one.  If I am lucky enough to have another I want to thank you all for
he input as I will not do it again!!
Sent from my iPhone
On Mar 5, 2013, at 3:20 PM, Elizabeth Chlipala <liz <@t> premierlab.com> wrote:
> Karen

 Are you sure it was workman's comp.  Workman's comp applies to individuals
njured on the job.

 Liz

 Laboratory Manager
 Premier Laboratory, LLC