[Histonet] Pregnancy

Sirena Hudgins sugartop2000 <@t> gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 16:51:18 CST 2013

We have had several healthy pregnancys in our lab. I was not as fortunate,
at a previous lab, I worked in. Never let anyone tell your tech THAT THEY
DID STAINING COVERSLIPPING AND WET TRIMMING and their baby was fine. Never
make them feel guilty or pressured to work with chemicals. Instead insist
that they are not even allowed in those areas of the lab, this includes
unloading the processor.  Be concerned for your employees health and well
being, and the life that is being formed.
On Mar 5, 2013 1:10 PM, "Parker, Helayne" <HParker <@t> skaggs.net> wrote:

> Hi Gang,
>    Thought I would ask some people with some more experience than I in
this.  One of our techs is pregnant-  Yay !!!  She is very early - about 5
weeks.  My Lab Director wants her to start wearing a mask due to the
chemicals.  So we need to ask what sort of precautions need to take place
during the pregnancy etc.  We also coverslip by hand here out of xylene
etc.  I can not remember ever working with any pregnant HTs in the past so
I honestly do not know.  Please carbon copy replies to
JAScholefield <@t> skaggs.net as well.  We predominately work with 10% formalin,
reagent grade alcohols, paraplast, xylenes, clear-rite 3, Decal I and II
(from Surgipath), cytofixative and some routine special stain items.
Basically the typical myriad of stuff a very small routine histo lab would
have (no immunos)....

> Thanks and bunch for your help !
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Helayne Parker, H.T. (ASCP)
> Pathology Section Head
> Cox Medical Center Branson
> P.O. Box 650, Branson, MO 65615
> Phone:  417-335-7254
> Fax:  417-335-7127
> Email:  hparker <@t> skaggs.net
> Web:  www.coxhealth.com/branson
>

> CoxHealth – ranked one of Missouri's Best Hospitals by U.S. News & World
Report
> COXHEALTH CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any
contain confidential and privileged information protected by law.  Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you
are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail