[Histonet] CAP inspect- It's not about you(lab), it is about me(inspector)

Curt c.tague <@t> Pathologyarts.com
Thu Jun 6 14:51:48 CDT 2013

Though I don't think this is exactly what you're asking, I think the best thing they could do is terminate this "exception" to the law that allows preferential self referral. There is abusive over utilization costing millions/billions in additional cost to tax payers and those who purchase health insurance. The response from the feds is to cut the bread winning cpt code by 52% (in our area)... I have a friend who owns a small lab with 2 employees, because of these cuts he needs to lay them both off.... because of greedy POD's abusing the system. So there you have it, that's the first thing they should do.

Curt

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Linda
Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2013 12:25 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] CAP inspect- It's not about you(lab), it is about me(inspector)

Greetings All,

I just went through my Physician Office Laboratory(POL) inspection recently.

We all have to go through CAP inspections.  Yes, it is a voluntarily process.  We all work very hard and make sure everything is spit shined when they come into our pseudo-homes.

With all the CAP rules changing, all the multitude of sections verses just Lab general, Anatomic Path, and if you do cytology, that section. Now, with the non-exist traditional hospital laboratory being replaced with a central location to serve many hospitals.  Or now, as am I, a physical owned lab, with no pathologist on site.  And as always, being understaffed, required to produce more in a shorter amount of time, etc., essentially not feeling the "love".

Do you feel the laboratory inspection process should change too?

I am not endorsing or refuting any of the suggested process changes, they are thoughts that I actually have heard through the society grapevine.  Such as being taken over by the FDA, or having paid inspection teams, or some other process in-between?  A different set of inspectors who understand that POLs,  are the test(analytical) process and not the post-analytical process(the path report).

I send out to histoland the question interested in your thoughts.

Respectfully,

Linda Dee, BGS, HT(ASCP)