[Histonet] RE: Setting benchmark for Frozens

Rathborne, Toni trathborne <@t> somerset-healthcare.com
Wed Jun 5 10:41:31 CDT 2013

We have been tracking this for a number of years. The CAP benchmark is 20 minutes, and that is what we had used when we first started. However, because we have had years when the average started to be closer to 17-18 minutes we set 2 standards - ours and CAP's. Right now we look to maintain a fifteen minute TAT, and are often around 12 minutes.
I believe that our times are this good for a number of reasons. We are located in the same building as our OR. We use a pneumatic tube to expedite transportation. We have an "OR hotline" phone which was installed next to the tube system in the OR. All they have to do is pick up the hand-set and it will automatically ring at 5 different phones in Pathology. It will not go to any voice mails either. Someone is always able to answer in this way. We are then notified that a FS is on the way. This gives us time to start the pre-cool on the cryostat, notify the pathologist, log on to the computer and uncover the stain solutions. If by that time the specimen has not yet been delivered by the receiving person at the Lab end, we go to the tube and check for it ourselves.
Even though the TAT is from Received to Called, we still find the time saved preparing before the actual receipt of the specimen to be beneficial.
If you have problems meeting the 20 minute CAP benchmark, start by tracking your own times and try to improve each quarter. Look at processes and how simple changes can be made.
Good luck!

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Sullivan, Beatrice
Sent: Wednesday, June 05, 2013 10:32 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Setting benchmark for Frozens

We are attempting to set a realistic benchmark for TAT on Frozen Sections. Any suggestions? We currently use 20 minutes without including multiple part cases. Thank you.

Beatrice L. Sullivan HT(ASCP)HTL
Corporate Histology Manager
Virtua, Voorhees
856-247-3144

This message, and any included attachments, are from Virtua Health or its related affiliates and is intended only for the addressee(s). The information contained herein is privileged, proprietary or may include confidential information and/or protected patient health information. Any unauthorized review, forwarding, printing, copying, distributing, or otherwise disseminating or taking any action based on such information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, or have reason to believe you are not authorized to receive it, please delete this message promptly and notify the sender by e-mail with a copy to ISSECURITY <@t> virtua.org.

Thank you