[Histonet] picric acid paranoia

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken <@t> ucsfmedctr.org
Mon Jun 3 14:10:14 CDT 2013

I agree with Bryan, the only dangerous form is anhydrous powder.

I'm thinking they might be more interested in having you declare these blocks are not infectious...

Tim Morken
Supervisor, Electron Microscopy/Neuromuscular Special Studies
Department of Pathology
UC San Francisco Medical Center

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Bryan Llewellyn
Sent: Monday, June 03, 2013 12:05 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] picric acid paranoia

I don't know what the US regulations for importing paraffin blocks are, but Bouin fixed and paraffin processed tissues are perfectly safe. It is picric acid and its simple salts which are dangerous when dried. Since your tissues went through alcohol during processing, any free picric acid will have been removed and only that attached to the proteins remains. In fact, the paraffin wax itself is likely more of a hazard since it is inflammable. I suspect they could be safely shipped by mail, with appropriate declarations.

Bryan Llewellyn