[Histonet] picric acid paranoia

Bryan Llewellyn llewllew <@t> shaw.ca
Mon Jun 3 14:04:56 CDT 2013

I don't know what the US regulations for importing paraffin blocks are,
but Bouin fixed and paraffin processed tissues are perfectly safe. It is
picric acid and its simple salts which are dangerous when dried. Since
your tissues went through alcohol during processing, any free picric
acid will have been removed and only that attached to the proteins
remains. In fact, the paraffin wax itself is likely more of a hazard
since it is inflammable. I suspect they could be safely shipped by mail,
with appropriate declarations.

Bryan Llewellyn