[Histonet] Frozen Embedding Medium

Mike Tighe mtighe <@t> trudeauinstitute.org
Fri Aug 23 13:44:32 CDT 2013

I recently had some tissues sent to me for frozen sectioning and staining. I was able to section them just fine and also stained them reasonably well the next day. The stains that I used were ones that I have used many times on similar sections. The stains did not seem as "crisp" as usual but the were OK. I went back to the unstained slides two days later (stored then at -20) and I had lost the ability to stain with the same antibodies. I cut some fresh sections and the staining ability was restored. I am used to keeping tissues at -20 for months and still able to stain with these markers. The tissues were embedded in a different freezing compound than I am used to using.

Has anyone had this problem? I use Tissue-Tek and these tissues were embedded in  Frozen section compound (w/blue dye). The formulation seems to be a bit different judging from the MSDS.