[Histonet] Re: Regarding cartilage and bone staining

Elizabeth Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Wed Oct 12 14:41:03 CDT 2011

I'm not sure the size of the mouse head, but first of all the samples needs to be fixed properly I would let it stay in fixative for at least 48 hours.  Then the sample would need to be decaled and that could take days depending upon the type of decal you choose to use.  If you are processing the heads whole your processing cycle (depending upon the size of the samples) could range from 2 to 4 hours per station similar to something like this.  I like to use three absolutes and 3 xylenes on bone samples and find that this works well.  If the samples are over processed you can just cut back on the times.

Liz

70% 2 hours
80% 2 hours
95% 2 hours