[Histonet] Research and Clinical Labs

Amos Brooks amosbrooks <@t> gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 19:03:47 CDT 2011

Hi,
    Let me preface this by stating that I don't think this is a good idea
and it is not what we are doing here. I have a hypothetical question though.
What would be the regulatory ramifications of merging a research lab testing
animal specimens (not regulated by any agencies other than Best Practices
and OSHA) with a traditional (CAP, JACHO) clinical histology lab. What
equipment, if any, could be shared? In the event of a worst case scenario
(like an inspector noticing mouse tissue and human tissue on the same
processor at the same time or expired chemicals not labeled "research use
only") which regulations would be violated and how would one find out
potential fines that could be incurred. I have heard that there are labs
that are doing this. What precautions should a lab take if they end up
venturing down this path.

Thanks,
Amos