[Histonet] Cytology vs. Histology

Beth.Fye <@t> HCAhealthcare.com Beth.Fye <@t> HCAhealthcare.com
Thu Jan 27 15:29:08 CST 2011

I am a Cytotech that now functions as the Pathology Manager over both Histology and Cytology.  There is no easy answer and it totally depends on the work environment.  At our hospital, the Cytotechs also prep their work, and we do no GYN cytology.  So they spend an equal time between bench work and screening.  That is not true of many work environments.  As far as Histology, it also depends on your work environment.  Some Histotechs spend the whole day in front of the Microtome which can also be tough.  Histology requires a lot of hand/eye coordination to make a quality slide.  I think that is a skill that not everyone can do (well).  Both are very good careers, good luck with your decision.

Beth A. Fye, CT (ASCP)
Pathology Technical  Manager
HCA Richmond Hospital Laboratories
office:  (804)228-6564