[Histonet] Caris and Genoptix hardballing pathology labs

Maria Katleba Maria.Katleba <@t> stjoe.org
Fri Sep 3 15:03:40 CDT 2010

Good one Jay! I have had issue with a couple reference labs...

Yes... I had a Caris Life Science rep show up in blue scrubs (just like our facility). He misleads me into believing he was with the oncology group.  So I took time out of day to speak to him (thinking he was a Queen of the Valley employee, nurse or tech).
You can imagine how very annoyed I was to find out that he just dressed up like this because it gives him a better chance to wedge through the door of a lab.

Next is Genoptix... long story short: Genoptix faxed a request for blocks, reports, and slides so that they could perform a test for an oncologist... I have never heard of these people, never seen a rep, nor do I even have a CLIA certificate on file, and why do they want 'everything on file" Seriously?

So I call them.  Come to find out, our current lab of choice does the same test.  Not to mention the courier was due to arrive in 45minutes to pick up our send outs.

I spoke to the customer service person at Genoptix... she was going to fax me a CLIA... so I decided to check with my pathologists.  The block went to our longstanding reference lab and the case was done quickly.  A few days later, I get a few inappropriate calls from Genoptix. They were very angry that they lost business because I did not send them the case. They also made sure to tell the oncologists that "the pathology lab refused to send the block..."

They went on further to suggest that I was sending the block to our current ref. lab because of some "kick backs"....

Let me assure everyone on Histonet... KICK BACKS ARE ILLEGAL!   That being said, every reference lab we have ever used does not participate in kickbacks...  Genoptix though, that's another story. Pitting an oncology group against the hospital's pathology lab is a very poor way of getting the business. Those tactics don't go over well with any of us!

Caris Life Science and Genoptix have a lot to learn...

Maria Katleba MS HT(ASCP)
Pathology Dept. Mgr
Queen of the Valley Medical Center
1000 Trancas Street