[Histonet] Use of ammonia water

Victoria Baker bakevictoria <@t> gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 11:47:13 CST 2010

Hi Sharon,

I use a 1.5% solution for bone marrow cases and bloody tissue.  It does also
work well for GI.  I've never had an issue with it affecting any of my IHC.
An alternative though (when I can't get my hands on ammonium hydroxide) is
to put these blocks in warm water (I'm careful about the waterbath because
of X-contamination issues) for about 30-45 seconds and this works just as
well.  I stopped using any surface decal solution or Nair as I did see some
differences with the expression of certain markers - I did not see any false
negs, but the staining itself was not as intense it looked like.

Vikki