[Histonet] RE: alternative to Glucose oxidase (GLUOX) peroxidase block

Andrea T. Hooper andreahooper <@t> rocketmail.com
Thu Oct 29 13:45:23 CDT 2009

Couldn't agree with Gayle more!

Glucose oxidase is the best protocol for blocking endogenous peroxidase but isn't entirely necessary unless you are working with hematopoietic tissue or tissue that has a large leukocyte infiltrate. For muscle standard 0.3% H202 should be fine. Of course if you happen to be staining for leukocytes (neutrophils) in your muscle section, I would just buy the reagents and do the glucose oxidase afterall. It's simply the best.

That being said, I do muscle IHC on frozens for endothelial markers, and use 0.3% H2O2. I do see bubbling but my sections do not come off and morphology looks great at the end. I use plus slides and dry my slides for several hours before putting at -80 deg C. This is both with PFA fixed tissue and acetone.

Good luck,
Andrea