[Histonet] GFAP IHC

Jan Shivers shive003 <@t> umn.edu
Thu Oct 29 09:29:15 CDT 2009

Nancy,

I don't use the ready-to-use GFAP from Dako, but I do use the concentrated
form of GFAP (it is also a rabbit anti-cow GFAP.)  It's worked successfully
in dog, cat, pig, cow, horse, goat, sheep, deer, eagle, mouse, rat, gerbil,
guinea pig, hamster, monkey, ferret, and kangaroo with no background
problems whatsoever.

The EnVision+HRP Rabbit will only bind to the rabbit IgG, not the cow IgG,
so that is not the source of your background.  I would suspect that if
you're getting brown staining on the slide itself, your antibody is much
much too concentrated.  My working concentration calculates out to be 4
ug/ml of Ab.  You might see if your ready-to-use preparation has a
concentration listed, and then work from there to approximate a 4 ug/ml
concentration with diluting it out.

If that doesn't work... buy the concentrated stock form and optimize it for
your tissues.  In my lab, it requires absolutely no tissue pretreatment, and
the stain is always strong, clear and clean.  Good Luck!

Best regards,
Jan Shivers
Senior Scientist
Pathology Teaching Program
Histology/IHC/EM Section Head
University of Minnesota
Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
1333 Gortner Ave.
St. Paul, MN  55108
612-624-7297
shive003 <@t> umn.edu

(Confidentiality Notice: This message, together with any attachments, is
intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you
think you have received this message in error, please advise the sender and
then delete this message and any attachments immediately.)