[Histonet] human macrophages in human melanoma xenografts

Patsy Ruegg pruegg <@t> ihctech.net
Sun Oct 25 16:59:21 CDT 2009

I do not know of a non mouse anti human macrophage marker, but in my
experience most are using the wrong ms monoclonal anti human CD68 for
macrophage markers,  The KP1 clone will stain a lot more than macrophages,
granulocytes etc., the best clone to use for anti human CD68 is the PGM1
clone which is specific to just macrophages and monocytes and not all the
other cells.  I have known hematopathologist who tell me they stopped using
CD68 because it was just not specific enough, but when I tell them to switch
to the PGM1 clone they are very happy with that.

As for macrophages in mouse tissue, I use the serotec rat anti mouse F4/80
ab with very good results.  I have used macrophage markers that are for rat
tissue (can't remember what they are at the moment, I think the are CD68?)
but I did not have as good results on rat tissue with them as I did on ms
tissue with rat anti f4/80.

Liz,
What do you use for macs on rat tissue?  I may have asked you about this
before?

Regards,

Patsy

Patsy Ruegg, HT(ASCP)QIHC