AW: [Histonet] Masson's tri-chrome specificity

Gudrun Lang gu.lang <@t> gmx.at
Sat Oct 24 03:45:05 CDT 2009

Jennifer,
I don't think, that you can substitute Biebrich Scarlett with Eosin. These
dyes have a different chemistry. That is well described on Bryan Llewellyn's
website: http://stainsfile.info/StainsFile/stain/trichindex.htm

The staining of collagen is also a matter of differentiation of the dyes in
water and diluted ethanol. Biebrich Scarlett "leaves" the tissue faster than
anilinblue in diluted ethanol. So if you want blue collagen, wash longer in
96%. This will also lead to paler cytoplasm staining.

There is a publication on the different dye uptake of collagen, that was
exposed to the atmosphere (Histologic 1979). Older blocks show uneven dye
uptake.
And another publication refers to the tension-state of collagen: "The Masson
staining of collagen - an explanation of an apparent paradox" The
Histochemical Journal 1975. It says that in tensioned collagen more
positivly-charged amino dye-binding sites are available than in relaxed
collagen. That leads to better dye uptake of arylmethan dyes of collagen in
streched tendon or stretched dermis.
I think ripened collagen with many crosslinks has also less dye-binding
sites than "younger" collagen.

Are there more recent publication on this issue?

Gudrun Lang

Histolab, Akh Linz