[Histonet] Re: Frozen Myocardium sections

Merced M Leiker leiker <@t> buffalo.edu
Thu Oct 8 08:51:09 CDT 2009

You can also safely freeze the molds (containing OCT and your specimen)
over liquid N vapors by suspending them over the surface of the nitrogen (I
just remembered we used to do this some years ago in another lab). Not too
far from the surface, though; they'll freeze too slowly and you'll get
artifacts.

Regards,
Merced

--On Wednesday, October 07, 2009 3:50 PM -0700 Michelle MacVeigh-Aloni
<macveigh <@t> usc.edu> wrote:

> The OCT cracks if the block remains in liquid N too long.
>
> I use a plastic mold, which holds my tissue in the OCT.
> Float the mold on the surface of the liquid N but pull it out of there
> while there is still a little liquid/clear OCT (about 6-7mm in diameter)
> in the middle of the forming block. Put it on the counter (room temp.).
> As the block sits on the counter, for a minute or two, the freezing of
> the center takes place. The block will never crack if it is pulled out of
> the OCT on time.
>
> Michelle Aloni MS HTL ASCP
> USC Keck School of Medicine
> Los Angeles, CA

Merced M Leiker
Research Technician II
Cardiovascular Medicine
348 Biomedical Research Building
State University of New York at Buffalo
3435 Main St, Buffalo, NY 14214  USA
leiker <@t> buffalo.edu
716-829-6118 (Ph)
716-829-2665 (Fx)

No trees were harmed in the sending of this email.
However, many electrons were severely inconvenienced.