[Histonet] Re: Frozen Myocardium sections

Michelle MacVeigh-Aloni macveigh <@t> usc.edu
Wed Oct 7 17:50:24 CDT 2009

The OCT cracks if the block remains in liquid N too long.

I use a plastic mold, which holds my tissue in the OCT.
Float the mold on the surface of the liquid N but pull it out of there while there is still a little liquid/clear OCT (about 6-7mm in diameter) in the middle of the forming block.
Put it on the counter (room temp.). As the block sits on the counter, for a minute or two, the freezing of the center takes place. The block will never crack if it is pulled out of the OCT on time.

Michelle Aloni MS HTL ASCP
USC Keck School of Medicine
Los Angeles, CA