[Histonet] frozen myocardium sections

Merced M Leiker leiker <@t> buffalo.edu
Tue Oct 6 15:12:01 CDT 2009

Hi Geoff, just curious...could you not just plunge the rod directly into
the liquid N to cool it?

Regards,
Merced

--On Tuesday, October 06, 2009 10:32 AM -0400 Geoff McAuliffe
<mcauliff <@t> umdnj.edu> wrote:

> 1. Cool the isopentane with liquid N. Put a metal rod (aluminum, brass,
> copper) in the chilled isopentane. Wait for the rod to cool.
> 2. Put the tissue+OCT on a metal object disk, microtome chuck or even a
> small metal plate.
> 3. Put the metal supporting the tissue on the chilled metal rod, the
> tissue will freeze rapidly without cracking or touching the isopentane.
> Voila!
> Put the tissue in the cryostat at the appropriate temperature for
> sectioning and have some coffee while the tissue "warms up" to cutting
> temperature.
>
> Geoff
>

> Jean-Martin Lapointe wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> for a study we are freezing myocardium sections in OCT immersed directly
>> in liquid nitrogen, without isopentane, because apparently isopentane
>> quenches the fluorescence of the cells we need to detect in the tissue.
>> Unfortunately the blocks tend to crack after freezing. Does anyone have
>> a suggestion to avoid cracking ?
>>
>> thanks
>>

>> __________________________________
>>
>> Jean-Martin Lapointe
>>
>> AccelLAB Inc
>>
>> jm.lapointe <@t> accellab.com <mailto:jm.lapointe <@t> accellab.com>

> --
> --
> Geoff McAuliffe, Ph.D.
> Neuroscience and Cell Biology
> Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
> 675 Hoes Lane, Piscataway, NJ 08854
> voice: (732)-235-4583 mcauliff <@t> umdnj.edu

Merced M Leiker
Research Technician II
Cardiovascular Medicine
348 Biomedical Research Building
State University of New York at Buffalo
3435 Main St, Buffalo, NY 14214  USA
leiker <@t> buffalo.edu
716-829-6118 (Ph)
716-829-2665 (Fx)

No trees were harmed in the sending of this email.
However, many electrons were severely inconvenienced.