[Histonet] Question on decalcification of canine femur

Herrick, James L. (Jim) Herrick.James <@t> mayo.edu
Tue Oct 6 14:57:36 CDT 2009

Hello everyone,

Would anyone have any experience with decalcifying canine femurs (approximately ¾" dia. X 1" length)? We are currently using a Ted Pella microwave with a 14% EDTA solution and a pH of 7.4. The microwave is on for approximately 7 to 8 hours daily (excluding weekends) and the procedure was started on 9-23-09. As of today, a microCT scan was taken to try and determine the degree of decalcification that had taken place. Unfortunately, it does not show a great deal of decalcification at this point. I would think that after 2 weeks we would have had better results. How long should one expect to have to continue this process for a specimen of this type and size? Is there a better way to determine the degree of decalcification? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you much.

Jim Herrick
Senior Research Technologist
Department of Orthopedics
Bone Histomorphometry Core Lab