[Histonet] osteoids

Manav Mehta manav.mehta <@t> charite.de
Thu Jul 2 07:59:08 CDT 2009

Dear Histonet'ers,
I am trying to stain for Osteoids in a fracture callus of rat femurs. I
have MMA and Paraffin sections (4-5 um) / blocks already made. However,
I am not sure what stain I should use. Peers have suggested that a Movat
pentachrome should work, while some have suggested Goldner, and silver
staining. I am not sure how to proceed at the moment. I would appreciate
any suggestions with possibly a protocol on the staining for osteoids.
It would also help if you provided references on this stain or details
on the stain. Life experiences while working with these stains are also
welcome.

The Goal is to characterize the osteoids in the callus (surface,
thickness, osteoblast numbers). Possibly relate them to osteoblastic and
-clastic activity.

Thanks,
Manav Mehta