[Histonet] Cloudy cornea after Hartmann's fixative

Bob Richmond rsrichmond at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 13:26:16 CDT 2024

Hartmann's fixative, so-called, got this name when Dr. William H. Hartmann
introduced it in the mid-1960s at Johns Hopkins hospital, to fix tissue fo
demonstrate nuclear detail, specifically Barr (sex chromatin) bodies, as
directed in Moore and Barr's procedures for staining sex chromatin bodies,
published a little before that time. Moore and Barr referred to it as
"modified Davidson's fixative". Bill Hartmann's name stuck to it, though it
really had nothing to do with him (as he hastened to point out).

Bill Hartmann was one of my clinical teachers in surgical pathology at JHH
at that time, so I was there for the occasion. He went on to Vanderbilt and
other institutions. He died in 2016 at 85.

John Kiernan knows more about Davidson's fixative. Probably Davidson never
published it.

Bob Richmond
retired pathologist in Maryville TN