[Histonet] Paraffin on floors

Jay Lundgren jaylundgren at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 21:38:44 CDT 2024

Forget the floor damage.

You don't use xylene because it's a suspected carcinogen and it isomerizes
to free benzene, a known carcinogen, when it evaporates.

Xylene vapors are heavier than air and stay in your reserve lung volume and
do The Bad Thing.

NEVER use xylene for cleaning surfaces.  Not your microtome, not your
countertop, not your floor.  That's like using gasoline to dust your
nightstand at home.

That's why they make Paragard etc.  If you don't like paraffin repellent
spray on your area, elbow grease and a piece of gauze works just fine.
Citrus cleaners work too.

Anyone using paraffin as a surface cleaner should be written up.

If you have to use xylene to clean a coverslipper or soak off a coverslip,
only do so under a hood.

Super Seriously,

Jay A. Lundgren, M.S., HTL (ASCP)