[Histonet] Cryotomy help

Tony Henwood afhenwood at outlook.com
Fri Jul 12 17:12:57 CDT 2024

I have never come across this problem but as a suggestion:

  1.
Methanol is often used as an anti-freeze, so I am not surprised that cryotomy is difficult
  2.
Rinse tissues well in a cell culture medium such as RPMI or Hanks to remove as much of the methanol as possible (several changes at least).
  3.
Pat-dry and infuse with Cryo-gel (50/50 with water, then 70%, finally undiluted Cryo-gel). Place on rotor for an hour or so each, until the tissue sinks in the Cryo-gel.

It appears that OCT and sucrose gradients interfere with the Mass Spectrometry due to the high sugar content (see Snijders, M. L., Zajec, M., Walter, L. A., de Louw, R. M., Oomen, M. H., Arshad, S., ... & Clahsen-van Groningen, M. C. (2019). Cryo-Gel embedding compound for renal biopsy biobanking. Scientific reports, 9(1), 15250.)

Lots of luck

Regards,

Tony Henwood MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC), FFSc(RCPA) (Retired)

Principal Scientist, the Children’s Hospital at Westmead (Retired)

Adjunct Fellow, School of Medicine, University of Western Sydney.