[Histonet] Frozen marbled muscle failing to cut

Gerard Spoelstra umbellas at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 27 01:22:02 CST 2023

Hi

I resolved the problem with my earlier post from the 26th of September by cutting the  muscle at a lower temperature -18C. The muscle has previously been embedded in OCT  immersed in Isopentane and the into liquid nitrogen and stored in a freezer at -80C. The tissue is Wagyu muscle some of which is highly marbled. The higher marble tissue will not cut. It just leaves hole where the tissue should be. I suspect that the OCT has failed to infiltrate the more highly marbled muscle. This sometimes occurs with brain  in paraffin embedded sections. After reprocessing the problem is resolved. I don’t know if it’s possible to solve this in this case. Any Ideas?

Thanks

Gerard Spoelstra