[Histonet] Room Temperature for a Histology Lab

Mayer,Toysha N TNMayer at mdanderson.org
Thu May 25 12:10:00 CDT 2023

Have HVAC check the temp in the center of the room as well as by the vents.  We had a problem that the equipment produced so much heat that it caused the ribbons to stick together.
Using regulations for instrument and reagent storage can validate your request.  I would also take into account the number of techs working in the lab at its busiest.

Sincerely,

Toysha N. Mayer, DHSc, MBA, HT (ASCP)
Assistant Professor/Associate Program Director
HTL Program School of Health Professions
MD Anderson Cancer Center
tnmayer at mdanderson.org
713-563-3481 wk
832-710-1837 cell

Today's Topics:

   1. Re: Room temperature optimal for Histology Lab
      (jdhannasch at gmail.com)
   2. Re: Room temperature optimal for Histology Lab (Long, Denise M.)

Hello Denise,

I do not have an answer to your question, but as a consideration when it comes to room temperature, it?s important to keep in mind reagent storage temperature ranges if you are a CAP (and possibly CLIA) accredited lab.

If you have a reagent that says it should be stored 20C (68F) to 25C (77F) and you set your lab to 67F because (hypothetically) there is scientific literature saying stating that?s the optimal temperature in a histology lab, then when CAP comes and does an inspection, they could site you a deficiency for improper reagent storage.