[Histonet] Sudanblack B on FFPET

AJ Cabral jobaluyut at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 15:12:31 CDT 2023

Sudan Black staining won’t work on FFPET. The alcohols and xylenes used in
the tissue processing dissolves the lipids in the tissue. However, you can
used formalin fixed tissue as an alternative if no frozen section is
available. Rinse the tissue in distilled water for several minutes, pat
dry, freeze the tissue on OCT, cut frozen sections and stain in Sudan
black.

Have you considered looking into acid phosphatase staining for lipofucshin?
It is non specific but it can be demonstrated in muscle biopsy.

Cheers,
Joanna