[Histonet] Fast Green / Sirius Red - Unknown blue features

John Kiernan jkiernan at uwo.ca
Wed Jun 21 23:36:05 CDT 2023

Your technique is the one first (I think) published by Lopez-De Leon A & Rojkind M (1985) A simple micromethod for collagen and total protein determination in formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded sections. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 33: 737-743. The photos in that paper show some of the collagen almost black - surely taking up both red and green dyes. More recent papers describe exactly the same method, and there are also some variants. Your technique, with an acid rinse after staining for an hour, then quick transition to rapid dehydration in 100% alcohol, is essential for any valid picro-sirius staining.

According to the entry for fast green FCF (CI 42053) in Conn's Biological Stains (10th ed, p.180-182), "chemically distinct blue-green dyes have been supplied under this name". Are you sure your fast green FCF is the real McCoy? Is it from a batch certified by the Biological Stain Commission? The jar of dye powder should have a small bluish label, with features that make forgery difficult. See https://biologicalstaincommission.org/certified-biological-dyesstains/ for pictures and other information. There are companies selling "certified stains" that have not been tested and certified by the Biological Stain Commission. Caveat emptor!

The Biological Stain Commission is a not-for-profit corporation that has been providing third-party quality control and other services for vendors and users of stains for 100 years.

Just a few thoughts; I could add more, but probably this letter already is too long for the Histonet censors.

John Kiernan
Professor Emeritus, Anatomy & Cell Biology
University of Western Ontario, London, Canada
https://www.schulich.uwo.ca/anatomy/people/bios/emeriti/kiernan_john.html
Also  Secretary, Biological Stain Commission, Inc.
https://biologicalstaincommission.org
= = =