[Histonet] Coffee at the desk

John Kiernan jkiernan at uwo.ca
Sat Jun 3 23:57:46 CDT 2023

Bob, Why weren't they routinely buffering (or at least neutralizing) the formalin fixatives at Johns Hopkins as recently as 1970?

It had all been in the scholarly books (by Pearse, Lillie, etc) for >10 years, and was also in Lee Luna's 1968 Manual of Histologic Staining Methods, published by the USA's Armed Forces Institute of Pathology.

I was brung up on cold neutral buffered formalin for enzyme activity histochemistry when I was a medical student doing an interpolated research year in the early 1960s.

Cheers,  John

John Kiernan (London, Canada)

= = =