[Histonet] Sentinel lymph node microtomy

Samantha Golden samantha.golden at ymail.com
Sun Oct 2 13:38:34 CDT 2022

I am certain this question has been asked before, but I could not find a clear, definitive answer; perhaps there isn't one but I'm going to ask anyway...

Is there any type of standard for cutting levels on tissue, this example referring to SLN. I was taught to get a representative section for H&E and IHC, go deeper into block for additional sections (50-100 um, using professional judgement), then repeating for the final level(s).

This results in varying, representative levels throughout the block, plus it leaves tissue for additional studies if necessary. However I've realized that not everyone was taught this same way. I want to be certain I am teaching others a correct way, and would love to have something concrete to refer to for guidance.

Thanks for any help!