[Histonet] FNA collection

Terri Braud tbraud at holyredeemer.com
Wed Nov 9 12:19:32 CST 2022

Here our Histology techs and tech assistants collect all FNAs.  We stopped making thyroid smears 2 years ago, preferring to collect 6 passes, 5 directly flushed into Cytolyte for CB and Thin Prep, and one pass into Affirma holding solutions for possible testing for equivocal samples.  Using this method, our positive adequacy for thyroids actually increased.
We seldom have actual "fluid aspirates" for other samples, preferring to take core biopsies, roll them on sterile slides - fix and stain, then place the core in Formalin or RPMI as needed. Our pathologists make the adequacy/diagnosis from the stained slides and we have more tissue material for special studies.
There is no specific requirement for the staff making the smears, other than training and documentation of training and competency.
I've worked where other non-lab staff made the preps, and with the same training, can be equally as competent.
Hope this helps. Terri

Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP)
HNL Laboratories for
Holy Redeemer Hospital