[Histonet] Fixation time and ISH

Greg Dobbin greg.dobbin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 10:16:33 CST 2022

Background:
I read on a vendor website that tissues stained using In situ hybridization
should not exceed 32 hours fixation. Greater than 32 hours can produce
false negative results because the validated retrieving protocol can be
inadequate.

We in fact have seen evidence of this in our lab (mystifying negative
kappa/lambda staining) and we are beginning to realize that over-fixation
May we’ll be the issue for us (eg weekend processing).

I am proposing that we do what was common practice many years ago. That is,
transfer the properly fixed and decalcified bone marrow cores into 70% ETOH
until they can be processed into paraffin.

My questions:
Is anyone else doing this??

Is 70% ETOH still a viable option for labs in this situation?? And…

Is there another idea and/or more information out there that could help us
in this regard??

Thank you,
Greg
--
*Greg Dobbin*
1205 Pleasant Grove Rd

*Everything in moderation...even moderation itself**!*