[Histonet] The Passing Of Dr. James McCormick

Tom Pella tom_pella at tedpella.com
Sat Jul 23 14:44:31 CDT 2022

I've skimmed over the posts to Histonet since late June and I haven't seen
any post on Histonet, where the passing of Dr. James McCormick was
mentioned. He died on June 26th, 2022. I saw this mentioned on Histology
Professionals on FB but not here.

Here are a few links to online obituaries, the second with some rolling
pictures:

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/chicagotribune/name/james-mccormick-obi
tuary?id=35647547

https://www.swedishhospitalfoundation.org/news/in-memoriam-dr-james-mccormic

His contributions to the field of Histology can't be overstated. He invented
the first Cryostat, the first Histology Automated Tissue Processor, the
first Embedding Center, the first Tissue Cassette (and many other subsequent
cassettes), the first processes to use this instrumentation. His inventions
are in use every single day in most Histology Labs worldwide.

I only became acquainted with Dr. McCormick for a brief time later in his
life on a product collaboration. I found him to be the consummate gentleman;
a person in whom ideas were always bubbling to the surface; gracious and
intelligent and witty. His passing is a great loss for this community. His
public memorial service was held just today.

Tom Pella
President
Ted Pella, Inc.