[Histonet] Absence of Crystals in stains

Akemi akemiat3377 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 16:50:48 CDT 2022

I received this from a pathologist friend and need your help.  Unfortunately, I can’t attach the images he sent me on histonet.
“I’ve got a histopuzzle for you. This is a fungus ball from a maxillary sinus. On the H&E, it is loaded with these birefringent crystals, which I hypothesize are calcium oxalate. On the GMS stain, however, the crystals are completely absent.

Do you think there’s some reagent in the GMS procedure that dissolves crystals that would be resistant to tissue processing and the H&E stain? “

Thanks in advance!
Akemi Allison BS, HT/HTL

Sent from my iPhone