[Histonet] Jones' Methenamine Silver Stain for Basement Membranes of Kidney - Issues and Questions

Tony Henwood (SCHN) tony.henwood at health.nsw.gov.au
Thu Sep 23 18:13:40 CDT 2021

I agree with Bryan,

The introduction of thiosemicarbazide before the silver step improves the staining immensely.

I would also look at the periodic acid. Is it too dilute, though 0.5% should work? I usually cover this by using a 1% solution for 20 minutes.

Regards
Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC), FFSc(RCPA)
Principal Scientist, the Children’s Hospital at Westmead
Adjunct Fellow, School of Medicine, University of Western Sydney
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
Pathology Department
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA