[Histonet] Cryostat

Brittany Hethcox bhethcox at hcmhcares.org
Wed May 19 09:21:02 CDT 2021

Hello everyone!

I am new to the Histology world. You all may know my previous coworker,
Rhonda Ford. She officially retired and I am so happy for her! With that
being said, I am in a pickle because the cryostat we had completely broke
down. We were having issues with it during my training period, so I never
officially got to use it. We are now looking for a new cryostat for our
department. My supervisor is asking me about different models and features,
but I don't know much about any of this. So I was hoping you all could
help! Here are the details:

We are looking at two different models:
- HM525NX
- CRYOSTAR NX50

We are also getting questions about UV versus fog mist (More specifically
the "Cold D" fog mist). So my questions are:

1) Which model do you think is a better investment?
2) Is it ok to buy used?
- It's about half the price, which my supervisor really appreciates!
- A new cryostat will have to come from overseas. The seller says used ones
will probably be available in the states.
3) Which is better, UV or fog mist?
4) Are there any other features that we should aim to include in our
purchase (e.g. height adjustment, vacutome, etc.)?

Thanks so much for your help!

--
Brittany Hethcox
Histology/Pathology

--
*"We Make Lasting Connections"*Henry Community Health