[Histonet] JCAHO labs

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken at ucsf.edu
Mon May 10 11:20:29 CDT 2021

Jessica, CAP and JC apply the same CLIA regulations, just in a different manner. CAP tends to apply more of their own "upgrades." Ie, makes it a bit stricter, which is allowed. CLIA is just the baseline. If you have been thru CAP inspections you will not have any problem with JC.

While CAP will campout in your lab for several days and look at EVERYTHING, JC relies on "tracers" to get at the same information, just in a random manner. They will give you several specific dates during the past two years  and then ask for a number of random cases per day. Then they want to see everything you have that pertains to those specific cases. That is from accession logs to final report and everything in between - QC logs of stains and equipment, maintenance logs, service reports, controls for whatever stains were done. All slides and blocks on the case. Records of who did the staining. Personnel records of the personnel doing the work, competency records for those personnel. Everything. Like most inspections, if you can produce what they want quickly they are happy.

They will also do a walk-through of the lab and ask personnel various questions about safety, where SOPs are, look at chemicals, whether it is too crowded or cluttered, etc. In our labs in 5 JC inspections I have been through here they have never spent more than an hour in any particular lab. But we have many labs, so if they come to inspect your one small lab they will be spending more time there, I imagine.

None of the JC inspectors we have had come through had any experience at all in anatomic pathology. All were clinical lab techs or administrators. We got dinged for some things that were minor - chips in formica that a microbiology guy thought were infection hazards, to dust on tops of some cabinets. Not much else.

Our JC inspections last 3-4 days but that also covers many hospital areas and other labs besides histo/cyto/grossing/morgue. We have dozens of labs across many facilities. If all they did was AP they would be done in two days at most. IF you have a very small lab it might be only one day.

Tim Morken
Supervisor, Electron Microscopy/Neuromuscular Special Studies
Department of Pathology
UC San Francisco Medical Center