[Histonet] Movats

John Kiernan jkiernan at uwo.ca
Fri May 7 17:11:30 CDT 2021

Dear Betsy,

Don't say you are sorry for putting a long post on Histonet! To get troubleshooting help you need to say exactly what you did. If you wrote only, "why are my sections brown after Movat staining", nobody would understand your problem.

Your procedure starts with an hour in hot Bouin. For many years this has been a routine prior to trichrome stains done on sections of specimens fixed in neutral formaldehyde. It isn't part of Movat's original method (Arch. Path. 60:209-295, 1955), which probably was devised for sections optimally fixed for trichrome staining (in mixtures containing mercuric chloride).

Movat's pentachrome is a trichrome method preceded by alcian blue (for no obvious reason) and an iron-haematoxylin for nuclei and elastin. It differs from older trichromes in using a mixture of yellow polyene dyes  (saffron) to stain the collagen, instead of the blues or greens as in the Mallory and Masson methods.

Your method includes "5% sodium thiosulfate -1 min" after the iron-haematoxylin stain for black nuclei and elastic fibres. This also isn't part of Movat's pentachrome method, and I wonder why. Did you inherit an informal list of instructions passed on within the lab?  After a mercuric fixative, hydrated sections are dipped in iodine, followed by thiosulphate, before staining, to remove a black deposit (probably mercurous chloride) introduced by the fixative.I've been seeing similar informal passing of bad staining instructions in research labs for many years.  Are you a victim of this trend?

The thiosulphate step in your procedure obviously does no harm, because you got the right results with the dog tissues. There may be something different about your human specimens: perhaps inadequate fixation, or excessive acid treatment (if that's what Cal rite is) for decalcification.

If the sections of human arteries look OK with a microscope, it might not matter that grossly they are a different colour from the dog small intestine sections. They are, after all, different tissues.

A rather long, and not very helpful reply!

John Kiernan
London, Canada
= = =